- ½ cup margarine or butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup bananas, mashed (about 3 bananas)
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Celsius.
2. Cream margarine or butter, vanilla, and sugar.
3. Beat in eggs.
4. Add the flour, salt, and baking soda and mix well.
5. Add mashed bananas and mix well again.
6. Finally add chocolate chips.
7. Spoon into greased cupcake tins or cupcake papers, filling 3/4 full. This should make 12 to 15 muffins.
8. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until firm.
For moister muffins add 1/2 cup sourcream to the mixture before adding dry ingredients.
Instead of adding chocolate chips, feel free to add blueberries, cranberries, or saskatoon berries.
When I have bananas that are coming to the end of their life I throw them in the freezer (peel and all)! The peels turn black in the freezer but when they thaw they are easy to mash and I think they make the muffins moister. Plus you are not throwing out bananas anymore!
Once of my Taste of Home magazines says to fill empty muffins tins with water so that the muffins bake more evenly. I have done this and I think it works.
These muffins freeze nicely!