This is a salad that often appears at large family gatherings. When my mom and I are cooking a Christmas, Easter, or Thanksgiving feast, we always plan to have leftovers so that there is no cooking the day after, leaving plenty of time for visiting. This salad keeps really nice for several days which is usually unheard of when it comes to salads.Ingredients:2 or 3 cups broccoli, cut up
- 1 head caulliflower
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1 lb bacon, fried and chopped
- 1 small red onion
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 3 tbsp sugar
- Miracle Whip, enough to make one cup
1. Mix together the first 6 ingredients into a large bowl.
2. Mix the final 3 ingredients separately to create the dressing.
3. Mix the dressing into the salad 1/2 hour before serving.
Instead of actually frying and chopping bacon sometimes I buy a package
of the real bacon bits.
Depending on the size of your cauliflower and how much broccoli you use, you may want to mix another 1/2 of a batch of dressing if the salad looks too dry.
The original recipe says to soak the raisins in hot water to sof
ten but I don't do this because they become really mushy the next day.