Wednesday, February 2, 2011

#21 Lemon Chicken or Turkey Soup


As a kid I always wondered why my grandma always wanted to take the bones of a chicken or turkey home after a family meal. Now I know that great healthy soups can be made using the broth from boiling the remains of a chicken or turkey.
I made a chicken in my slow cooker on the weekend and froze the remaining carcass. Yesterday I took it out and made soup.

Ingredients:
  • 1 whole chicken or turkey, cooked
  • water
  • 2 lemons, squeezed
  • 4 carrots, chopped
  • 4 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 can of mixed beans or cup of dried bean soup mix
  • ½ cup rice
  • 1 cup cubed chicken or turkey (optional)
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp sage leaves
Directions:
1. Carve all meat off chicken and place what remains from the chicken into a large pot.
2. Cover the remains of the chicken with water, filling the pot to about 1 to 1 1/2 inches from the top. Bring the water to a boil and let simmer for several hours. Strain away parts of the chicken leaving only a broth.
3. Add juice from lemons, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, pepper, and sage to the broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add beans, rice, chicken or turkey and additional pepper and sage to taste. Simmer for an additional 20 to 25 minutes.
5. Let stand to cool for a few minutes before serving.

NOTES
Don't worry about making soup right after carving your chicken or turkey. I throw the remains of my chicken or turkey into a large pot and then cover it and put it in the freezer. Then when I am ready to make soup I simply remove the pot, add the water, and start cooking. The soup itself also freezes well.

Don't be afraid to add other vegetables to this soup. I have added peas and corn! Also feel free to experiment with your spices!

No comments:

Post a Comment