Saturday, March 5, 2011

#44 Maple Bacon Turkey

This is how I always make my turkey, mostly because my husband is a bacon-aholic. Please be warned that the meat has sort of a smoky BBQ flavour. If this is not for you or you want a more traditional turkey, then do not make this recipe. My dad prefers a traditional turkey over this recipe. He cringes at the sight of the bacon at Thanksgiving or Christmas time. This recipe is adapted slightly from a recipe by Che Ryan Skelton in Inspired by Compliments - Winter 2007.
Ingredients:
  • 1 - 8.5 to 11 lb turkey, thawed and neck and other inards removed
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • ¼ tsp pepper
  • 1 apple (optional), quartered
  • 1 small onion (optional), quartered
  • 3 garlic cloves (optional), halved
  • 1 pkg maple bacon
  • 1 cup real maple syrup
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
2. Combine chilli powder, salt, and pepper. Season turkey evenly, inside and out, by rubbing with mixture into turkey.
3. Place the turkey in a roasting pan. Stuff the cavity loosely with apple, onion, and/or garlic. Stuffing these things inside will help keep the meat moist.
4. Lay bacon strips over the entire turkey: breasts, legs, and cavity.
5. Put the turkey in the oven and reduce heat to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Roast turkey for about 3 hours or until an instant-read thermometer registers 180 degrees F (82 degrees C) when inserted into the inner thigh.
6. During the last 30 to 45 minutes of roasting, brush the turkey and bacon with the maple syrup every 10 or 15 minutes.

NOTES
Use a digital meat thermometer. Since I have been using a digital meat thermometer I an cooking my meat not as long and it is way juicier. Before I always overcooked meat.

Lately I have been making my stuffing separate from my turkey. I use the Baked Apple Turkey Stuffing recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment