Homemade pumpkin pie like other homemade goodies is just so much better. I will never by a pumpkin pie in a store again. My grandma says that this was her mom's recipe.Ingredients:4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tbsp butter, full
- 1 28 oz can pumpkin
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 3 cups milk
- 3 pie shells
- 1 small package of prepared whipped topping
1. Separate the egg white from the yokes. Beat the egg white until stiff and then set aside.
2. Mix the egg yokes, sugar, and butter. Whip until creamy.
3. Add pumpkin, ginger, and cinnamon. Mix until smooth.
4. Gradually add 3 cups of milk.
5. Fold in the egg whites. Remember folding is not stirring. Folding is continually folding the batter on top of itself so that air is added to the mixture.
6. Pour the mixture into 3 pie shells.
7. Place the pies in a 450 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and cook for ano
ther 45 minutes. The pies are done when a metal knife can be inserted and it comes out clean.
8. When pies have cooled, cover with whipped topping.
If you would like to make some pumpkin tarts instead of pies. Follow the same instructions but cook tarts at 350 or 375 and watch them carefully.
They will cook a lot quicker.
According to my grandma, the egg whites are stiff when you can hold the bowl upside down and they do not move.