My mom used to make this pudding at home. It is the ultimate comfort food. This recipe comes from "The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook" by Z. Coulson.Ingredients:
- 6 cups milk
- 1 cup medium grained rice
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
1. Add milk, rice, sugar, butter or margarine, and alt in a 3 quart saucepan.
2. Over medium heat, heat the milk mixture until tiny bubbles form around the edge, stirring mixture frequently.
3. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour or until rice is very tender. Stir occasionally.
4. Stir in vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled (about 3 hours).
5. To serve, spoon rice pudding into dessert dishes and sprinkle with nutmeg.
I like to eat this pudding hot or cold. I like to pour some milk over it and sprinkle it with cinnamon or nutmeg.