This is a T. Pechey recipe that I learned in his Winter 2010 cooking series. I must admit that when I saw the ingredients in this recipe and when I put it altogether, I was not convinced that this recipe would be a winner. I think it was all the cream that threw me off. But as per usual, T. Pechey came through and this recipe was delish!Ingredients:
- 6 lasagna noodles
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 20 medium sized mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- ½ small red onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced or put through a garlic press
- 7 sun dried tomatoes, minced
- 1 tbsp thyme
- ½ cup white wine
- ⅓ cup pecans, chopped coarsely
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 ½ cups 18% cream, (also calle table cream or coffe cream)
- 2 cups mozzarella or mozza/edam cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- truffle oil, (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place about 4 quarts (16 cups) of water into a large pot. Add a tablespoon of salt. Cover and heat on high to boil.
3. Meanwhile - heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, but not smoking, add the mushrooms, onion, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, and dried thyme. Cook stirring the odd time until most of the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated. Add wine, salt, and pepper. Increase heat to high to boil off the wine - the flavour will remain. Take off the heat and allow to cool.
4. When th pasta water comes to a boil - add the lasagna and cook for about 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile - heat a small skillet over medium heat and add the chopped pecans...toast for only a few minutes (until you can smell the fragrance of the toasted nuts). DO NOT ALLOW TO BURN!
6. When the lasagna has finished cooking - drain through a colander.
7. Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with non stick spray. Place 3 of the lasagna noodles in the pan. Add 3/4 cup of the cream, HALF of the mushroom mixture, HALF of the pecans, HALF of the parmesan, and HALF of the mozza.
8. Place the other three lasagna noodles on top - then the rest of the cream, mushroom mixture, pecans, parmesan, and mozza.
9. Bake for 30 minutes.
10. Allow to rest and set for about 5 to 10 minutes. Just before serving spray top with truffle oil.