Monday, March 21, 2011

#54 Double Brownies



These brownies come from Jean Pare's Company's Coming: 150 Delicious Squares. They are to die for so all the work it takes to make them is totally worth it. I remember my husband made them when I had all my wisdom teeth out. They even tasted good pureed through a straw!
Ingredients:
  • CHOCOLATE LAYER
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • ¾ cup flour
  • ½ cup walnuts
  • tsp salt
  • ¼ cup cocoa
  • ½ cup butter or margarine
  • BUTTERSCOTCH LAYER
  • ½ cup butter or margarine
  • 1 ½ cups brown sugar, packed
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 ½ cups flour
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • ½ cup chopped walnuts
  • ICING
  • ¼ cup butter or margarine
  • ½ cup brown sugar, packed
  • 3 tbsp milk
  • 1 ½ cups icing sugar
  • DRIZZLE
  • cup semi sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 tbsp butter or margarine
Directions:
1. Chocolate Layer: Beat 2 eggs until foamy. Add granulated sugar, flour, nuts, and salt. Melt cocoa and butter together in a saucepan over low heat. Add to egg mixutre and blend well. Spread in greased 9x13 inch pan. Set aside.
2. Butterscotch Layer: In a clean bowl cream butter with brown sugar. Add 2 eggs and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Add remaining ingredients. Sitr. Spoon over chocolate layer in small blobs. Spread as best you can. Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool and frost.
3. Icing: Bring butter, brown sugar and milk to boil in saucepan. Simmer for 2 minutes. Cool. Stir in icing sugar, adding more sugar or milk if necessary to make consistency for easy spreading. Spread over cooled squares.
4. Drizzle: Melt together the chocolate chips and butter or margarine over hot water and drizzle over icing.

2 comments:

  1. I have this recipe marked off in my book to try. I don't know why but I didn't picture it looking like that in my head. Do you think it would still be good if I left the nuts out and replaced them with chocolate chips in the chocolate layer, and white chocolate chips in the white layer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Maybe. I wouldn't hesitate to omit the nuts without a replacement. Substituting with chips sounds like a good idea but I wonder how it would change the texture. An experiment worth trying. Never too much chocolate, right?

      Delete