My uncle brought this salad to last year's July 1st weekend celebration. Very tasty! We requested it again at this year's Easter feast. Unfortunately he wasn't able to purchase chow mein noodles at the local grocery store so in the picture you may notice these noodles are missing.Ingredients:
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- ½ medium head cabbage, shredded
- 1 pkg bean sprouts
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 3 oz pkg instant or Ichiban noodles, broken up
- ½ pkg chow mein noodles
- 1 seasoning pakage from instant noodles
- ½ cup cooking oil
- 3 tbsp soya sauce
- 3 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
1. Put almonds and sesame seeds in a single layer in a pan and toast in a 350 degree oven for 5 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven. Set aside.
2. Put shredded cabbage and bean sprouts into a large bowl. Add mushrooms, onions, and sunflower seeds. Add toasted almonds and sesame seeds.
3. Combine broken instant noodles and chow mein noodles in a small bowl and set aside.
4. Empty the seasoning packet from the package of noodles into another small bowl. Adding remaining ingredients to create dressing. Put into a container with cover.
5. Before serving, shake dressing. Pour over cabbage mixture. Toss and sprinkle with dry noodles over top.
Variations: Add 2 cups of canned or fresh cooked shrimp or 2 cups of cooked, cubed chicken to cabbage mixture before tossing. Sliced cucumbers and radishes may be added, 1/2 cup each.