I love making borscht when I have access to fresh garden vegetables. This recipe comes from A. Campbell.Ingredients:
- 1 ½ cups potatoes, diced, uncooked
- 2 cups beets, diced, uncooked
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 cup string beans, chopped into 1 inch peices
- 1 cup green peas
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 tbsp parsely, chopped
- 2 tbsp dill leaves, chopped
- ¾ cup onion, chopped
- 1 28 oz can of whole or diced tomatoes
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- ⅓ cup butter
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
1. Cover the potatoes and beets with water. Add salt and vinegar. Put on to boil for 5 mintues.
2. Add carrots, beans, and peas. Add enough water to cover vegetables. Boil for 15 minutes.
3. Add shredded cabbage, parsely, 1 tablespoon of chopped dill, 1/4 cup onion, tomatoes, celery, and salt and pepper. Add more water to cover if necessary. Boil for 30 minutes longer.
4. Melt better in a fry pan. Add 1/2 cup chopped onion and cook until onino is tender but not brown. Add to soup with 1 tbsp of remaining dill and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Boil 10 minutes more. Remove from heat and allow to rest for 30 minutes.