Wednesday, March 30, 2011

#66 Grandma Shirley's Corn Chowder Soup

This is my Grandma Shirley's corn chowder soup recipe. This is easily my favourite soup that my grandma makes. I like to make this soup when I have left over ham.
Ingredients:
  • 8 slices bacon
  • medium onion
  • 5 medium potatoes, cubed
  • water
  • 2 14 oz cans cream corn
  • 4 - 5 cups milk
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch
Directions:
1. Cube raw bacon and fry.
2. Chop onion. Take bacon out of pan and put on paper towel to remove excess fat. Saute the onion in the bacon dripping left in the pan.
3. Add cubed potatoes to the onion. Cover with water. Put the lid on the pan and simmer slowly until potatoes are tender.
4. Pour the mixture into a slow cooker. Add the cream corn. Add milk until the consistency is soupy and almost makes the slow cooker full. Add the bacon.
5. Stir the soup before putting on the lid and cooking on low for several hours.
6. To thicken the soup, take some of the liquid out and stir in cornstarch. Add the cornstarch liquid back into the soup. Stir and continue to heat.

NOTES:
Instead of bacon I sometimes cube leftover ham. I probably use 1 to 2 cups of ham. Sometimes I even still add the bacon!

No comments:

Post a Comment