Each year I have my husband request what he would like for his birthday dinner party. One year he requested lasagna. My mom and I made The Best Lasagna recipe and decided to try this one as well. We made a huge mess of the kitchen making the lasagnas and we filled the house with smoke when one of the lasagna's boiled over the pan in the oven (Be sure to put a baking sheet under the baking dish!). However, in the end the meal was fantastic and surprisingly this lasagna ended up being the favourite. This recipe comes from G. and T. Ferguson - Star City Centennial Cookbook.
- 9 to 12 lasagna noodles, cook as directed on box
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 large jar salsa, medium or mild
- 1 green pepper , chopped
- 2 handfuls fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 container feta cheese, grate or crumble as desired
- 1 small pkg. fresh spinach
- 1 8 oz can spicy tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
1. Brown ground turkey.
2. Add garlic and a dash of salt and pepper. Add onion, green pepper, and mushrooms. Cook 5 minutes or until onions are transparent.
3. Add 2/3 jar of salsa and can of spicy tomatoes. Mix well. This will compromise the meaty mix layer.
4. Layer accordingly in a 9x13 inch baking dish: noodles, meaty mix, spinach, feta cheese, noodles, meaty mix, spinach, feta cheese, noodles, salsa, and top with mozzarella and feta cheese.
5. Bake at 350 degree for 30 to 40 minutes.