Monday, April 25, 2011

#79 Glaze for Ham



So the first time I decided to host my in-laws for Easter dinner, I decided to make a ham. A few days before the feast I made my way to my neighbourhood grocery store to select my ham. As a first time ham cooker, I was surprised to find that purchasing a ham is easier said than done. When looking around the grocery store meat section I found there were many different types and sizes of ham. Sensing my distress one of the staff in the meat department approached me to see if I needed any help. I told her that I needed a ham to feed about 14 people and that I was cooking for my in-laws so I wanted to do a good job. The meat clerk immediately instructed me to follow her. She picked out a ham for me (I think it was a bone-in shank but it may have been a butt) and she told me to get a piece of paper and pen out of my purse. She instructed me to put the ham in a roaster, cut side down and pour a beer over it. She then gave me the oven temperature and the cooking time as well as this recipe glaze for the last 1/2 hour to hour of cooking. As far as I could tell, the ham was a hit and I have used this glaze on hams ever since!
Ingredients:
  • cup honey
  • cup rye whiskey
  • cup brown sugar
Directions:
1. Combine the honey, whiskey, and brown sugar in a small pot. Heat over low heat on the stove until the brown sugar is dissolved and the mixture is well blended.
2. Brush over ham every 10 to 15 minutes in the last 1/2 hour to hour of cooking time for the ham.

NOTES:
If you want more or less glaze, just mix equal parts of the honey, whiskey, and brown sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment