These muffins and the recipe were brought over to me by my birth doula (C. Daschuk) shortly after the birth of my daughter. They are nutritious and filling….great for a snack when up in the middle of the night for feedings!Ingredients:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup white sugar (or other sweetner such as honey)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup zucchini
- ½ cup sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup sesame seeds, roasted
- ½ cup raisins or dired cranberries
- ½ cup pecans or walnuts
- ½ cup coconut extract
- 1 apple, peeled and grated
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
1. Sift together the first 7 ingredients.
2. Add the next 8 ingredients.
3. In a separate bowl combine eggs, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Add to the flour mixture.
4. Spoon into muffin cups or right into the greased muffin tin. Bake at 350F for 15-25 minutes or until a cake tester inserted comes out clean.
If you do not have ½ cup of buttermilk you can use ½ cup milk with ½ tbsp of vinegar added to it.
Feel free to play around with this recipe. One time I made it when I didn't have zucchini. I just added more carrot and apple.